Wednesday 11 November 2009

Honesty, Honestly!

I took my son and his friend to see the Disney Pixar movie "UP!" this summer. Of course, it was beautifully written and had amazing graphics. The voice talent was top-notch and I found myself sobbing at the end, it was so touching.

But the thing that stayed with me all this time was the little dog named Dug. His diabolical first owner equipped him with a device that communicates the dog's thoughts. In one scene, he stows away in the house that his new master has tied balloons to and drifts over the continent. When they land, the master is surprised to see Dug, whose voicebox says something like "I hid under the porch because I love you and wanted to come with you."

If PEOPLE could express themselves so honestly and clearly, can you imagine what the world would be like? Sure, your husband's voicebox would tell you that YES, those pants DO make your butt look big. And yeah, the birthday girl's would say "I HATE THIS PRESENT. IT'S UGLY." Okay, maybe there's a LOT of room in the world for subtlety, innuendo and white lies. But maybe if we all learned how to be more sincere and concise, it would cut to the good stuff a whole lot faster.

And right now my voicebox would be saying "I wrote this blog entry because I love you!"

No comments: