Wednesday 2 June 2010

Freedom of Speech: Use it Wisely


Memorial Day was this past weekend. In the U.S., we set aside one day a year in respect of the men and women of our military. Regardless of political beliefs, on this day we can come together as a nation to honor the sacrifices made for our freedom. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank our fighting men and women for their service and their families’ sacrifice.

As I sat down to write this blog, many different topics cross my mind and because of what Memorial Day stands for, I can write about any of them. As I thought a little more, the thought occurred to me that if I can say anything I want, am I saying something that matters? All of a sudden writing takes on a new responsibility. Every time I communicate, what am I saying? Am I offering value to the audience I am communicating to?

As I was considering this, I was reviewing more of my personal interactions than I was professional ones, but the same questions are just as applicable, if not more so.

Every time you touch your audience, regardless of if it’s a marketing campaign, event, email or even a simple conversation, you should be saying something that matters. By continually offering value, you are positioning yourself for your clients and prospects to think of you first when they have a need.

So in business or personal exchanges, with the choice to say anything you wish, say something that matters.

No comments: