Monday 24 August 2009

Social Networking & Online Marketing

Has everyone jumped on the social networking bandwagon yet? I was on Facebook the other day, taking some quiz on what my best personality trait is, and saw a notification in the bottom right hand corner. So-n-so “liked” my post. I then realized that so-n-so was an old friend from high school. Now, that doesn’t sound too strange, does it? But, maybe it will when I tell you I graduated in 1988, left my hometown, and never returned. And now, 80% of my Facebook “friends” are from my hometown. People that I would probably not consider “friends” in the real world, are now keeping up with my updates on Facebook. That is when I realized the power of social networking. Not only has it put me back in touch with friends from years ago, but it’s also put me back in touch with previous colleagues that I’d lost touch with, thus creating possible business opportunities.

The power of the Internet is amazing to me. I think every company should market themselves online; be it a company website, a Q&A forum, or even social networking sites such as Twitter and/or Facebook. There are tons of sites out there nowadays. After all, if you don’t advertise your company – how will people find you? That’s why I think marketing is one of the most essential components for a company to thrive. And these days, there are so many ways to do it and create business opportunities – there’s no excuse not to!

No comments: