Wednesday 1 October 2008

What's your brand?

If you don’t know who Chris Brogan is, allow me to introduce you. He’s a social media consultant (guru) who advises businesses, organizations and individuals on how to use social media and social networks to build relationships and deliver value.

I’m an avid follower of Chris’ blog where he recently published a free eBook, Personal Branding for the Business Professional. At just about 15 pages, it contains everything from strategy advice to things to consider to over 100 tactics and ideas. Good stuff.

As a marketer who deals with branding companies and products, the eBook was a good reminder to think about how I brand myself – particularly now that there are so many places and ways to present yourself beyond face-to-face - blogs, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.

As Chris says, ”A personal brand gives you the ability to stand out in a sea of similar products. In essence, you’re marketing yourself as something different than the rest of the pack.” Do you need this? I don’t know, but in all likelihood you don’t want to be mixed in with the pack.

Obviously personal branding goals will vary by individual, but I think you’ll find some good nuggets in the eBook. If nothing else it might prompt you to ask a few more questions and get thinking about it. And I promise it’s not all questions, you’ll find some answers, too.

No comments: